Thursday, July 12, 2012

An Event to Document


Luke and I will be married three years in September. And for 3 years we have been house hunting. We have looked at dozens of houses over those three years. Some beautifully renovated, and others could be considered a "handy-man special" at best. We encountered lots of houses that I liked, but none that I loved. None of them felt quite right until about two months ago. Luke and I stumbled upon a foreclosure with a price that seemed too good to be true. Actually I have to give Luke all the credit here. He found the house and convinced me it was worth looking into. When I walked into the house for the first time I immediately felt an overwhelming sense of "home." I could truly see us living there! Now, as with most foreclosures, there was some work that needed to be done- mostly cosmetic. I've never been one to shy away from a little DIY, and instead of seeing a lot of "problems" to correct, I saw that finally I was going to get the opportunity Luke and I had so often talked about to take a house and put our "stamp" on it. We could take the beautiful bones of this house and build on them to make something really special- at least to us!

So that was it. We were in love! After lots of negotiating and lots and lots of waiting we have finally come to today- a day I often felt would never arrive- CLOSING DAY! We have officially bought our first home! What a milestone! Hooray!!

Okay, this brings me to the reason for this blog. I mentioned that the house needs a little work, so I decided to start this blog for the sake of documenting our progress. I thought that there may be a few friends and family who would like to keep up with how things are going, and I also want a way to look back and see how the house has changed and evolved over time. I want this to be a place were I can share how I have added "luster" back into this old home (hence the name of the blog). I have a lot planned for the house, and I can't wait to share how it unfolds!

For starters I will share a photo of our new home.


It's a simple home built in 1926. It is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths with a bonus room. It is approximately 2200 square feet. Every room in the house is painted a different color with the most hideous colors being the "mustard yellow" kitchen and the "school bus yellow" spare bedroom. A lot of the changes will simply be painting and decorating, although I do have a few projects up my sleeve. ;)

We will be working tirelessly for the next few weeks to get things ready to move in. I cannot wait to share our first project!

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment