Friday, July 13, 2012

Kitchen Inspiration

Well today was our first of many work days at the new house! Today was mostly prep work, wiping things down, priming kitchen cabinets, stripping peeling paint, and priming trim work. Of course, since this is an older home, we have treated all chipping paint as if it is lead-based. My sweet parents, Mark and Melanie spent the entire day with hepa masks on in a sealed off room taking care of the lead paint issue. My sweet mother-in-law, Kathy spent her day entertaining Miss Lennox so I could start prepping the kitchen. Then, Luke and our good friends Cameron and Susan spent their evening priming the cabinets and getting the walls ready for paint. So thankful for them all!!!

Oh the kitchen...

Okay, now I'm not sure how you can possibly have brown dripping residue on the inside of all your cabinets. Where does that come from??? Maybe I don't want to know. I scrubbed those puppies over and over and they never really came clean. Boy am I glad they will soon have a fresh coat of crisp teal and white paint! I will rest easier knowing that my pretty dishes are not sitting on surfaces that strangers have filled with who knows what!

There aren't many pictures to share yet, so since we are talking about the kitchen I'll share some of my kitchen inspiration!

We have had to do a lot of waiting around during the process of purchasing this home, which has been very frustrating. The upside to the waiting is that I have had lots of time to daydream and picture my new home in it's more lustrous state. We are definitely working this kitchen redo on a budget. I'm going to be relying on a lot of paint and innovation to add luster to this room!


We are keeping the existing white cabinets and painting the upper cabinets a fresh coat of white and the lower cabinets a teal shade. We are also keeping the existing black counter tops and black tile floors (I can work with that). We are hoping to eventually add a custom vent hood and subway tiles, but that may not be in the room's immediate future - we will see!

I cannot wait to get this room going! My friend, Natalie and I plan to attempt painting our own chevron rugs, and I liked the damask fabric as a possible curtain fabric for the 3 big windows in the room. The mercury glass knobs shown are from Anthropologie, but I found almost identical ones at Hobby Lobby for 1/4 of the price!

Tomorrow is our big paint day. Maybe I will have some photos of the house to share after tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment